The Strategic and Tactical Advancement Resource (STAR) Committee met at Crooked Oaks Farm on August 22 to discuss advancement strategies for the college and tour the recently acquired CFWE property. Comprised of leaders from the forestry, wildlife and natural resources industries, this team gathers twice a year to apply their collective knowledge and expertise in advancing the college’s academic, research and extension platforms. Their primary role is to assist in devising and executing strategic initiatives aimed at enhancing the college’s visibility and impact.
During the meeting, the team explored a range of strategic initiatives, including expanding internship and employment opportunities for students, implementing enhancements at the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center, devising strategies to increase visibility and improve business operations at Crooked Oaks Farm and creating a $350,000 endowment to support the Forests, Environment and Wildlife Leadership (FEWL) Academy.
The STAR team members include:
- Alex Hinson, President and CEO at Resource Management Service LLC, Birmingham, Alabama
- Brian Luoma, President and CEO, Westervelt, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Dan Moultrie, Founder of Moultrie Products, Birmingham, Alabama
- Paul Pinyan, Executive Director of the Alabama Farmers Federation and General Manager of Alabama Farm Bureau Services, Inc, Alabama
- Darryl Rosser, Executive Chair, Global Integrated Flooring Solutions, Birmingham, Alabama
- Marc Walley, President and CEO, Forest Investment Associates, Atlanta, Georgia (Team Leader)
- Kevin Savoy, Vice President at Great Southern Wood Preserving, Abbeville, Alabama
- Janaki Alavalapati, the Emmett F. Thompson Dean of the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment
- Ex-Officio: Chair/Ex-Chair Cannon Lawley and Alexander McCall of the CFWE Advisory Council
(From left to right) Cannon Lawley, Alex Hinson, Darryl Rosser, Brian Luoma, Dan Moultrie, Alexander McCall, Kevin Savoy and Dean Janaki Alavalapati
The STAR team actively contributes to the college by establishing stakeholder partnerships, serving as spokespersons in high-level discussions, engaging in executive-level networking opportunities and mobilizing resources for strategic initiatives.
(Written by Allison Killingsworth)