graduate students outside sfws building after graduation
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment, or CFWE, embraces the interdependent principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion that are critical to support long-term success for the College as we collaborate to address complex environmental issues pertaining to the sustainable use and management of natural resources.
Diversity celebrates individual differences, facilitates innovation, and provides a competitive advantage as people from all backgrounds share ideas, and learn from others’ perspectives. We promote equity by addressing individual and institutional barriers to ensure fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for everyone. We work to intentionally create an environment of inclusivity, respect, and belonging empowering all community members to reach their highest potential academically, professionally, and personally. Fostering inclusivity facilitates organizational success and is the responsibility of every member of our community. The College will pursue these goals through leadership initiatives, growing our culture of inclusion, broadening recruitment and retention initiatives, and enhancing diverse community engagement.
Establish diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values and as part of the institutional objectives in the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment.
- Leadership commitment: Integrate leader-driven DEI into all aspects of CFWS instruction, research, outreach and administration.
- Culture and environment: Create a culture (and leadership) where diversity, inclusion and equity are celebrated and valued among students, faculty, alumni and staff.
- Representation, recruitment and retention: Increase representation (and support) of individuals from diverse backgrounds in our students, alumni, staff and faculty.
- Community and stakeholders’ engagement: Strengthen collaboration with community, stakeholders, and alumni to support diversity, equity and inclusion within the university and beyond.
- Accountability: We will ensure transparency as we hold ourselves accountable for our actions and inactions, and for maintaining intentional, measurable, and meaningful efforts to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion through ongoing evaluation of our policies, practices, and procedures. Success is defined by the results we achieve.