Summer practicum is eight (8) credit hours for wildlife students and ten (10) credit hours for forestry students. The estimated cost of tuition and fees*, billed by credit hour is:
Alabama resident: 10 credits:$5,088
Non-resident: 10 credits: $13,458
Alabama resident: 8 credits: $4,218
Non-resident: 8 credits: $10,938
Full time is 12 credit hours for summer term, and is calculated over both mini-mesters. Tuition fees are paid to Auburn University.
- includes registration fee and proration fee
Summer 2021 Practicum Fees
Practicum fees are paid to the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center. Fees are approximate and subject to change.
Note: A single check may be used to pay the fees listed in this web site, however the amounts shown are estimates therefore the AMOUNT OF THE CHECK SHOULD BE LEFT BLANK UNTIL PAYMENT TIME.
Practicum fees are to be paid at the Dixon Center on May 10, 2021, for both Forestry and Wildlife students.
Wildlife students – 6 week Practicum (May 10 – June 18)
Room & board/technology = $1633.65
Damage deposit (refundable) = $ 150.00 **
TOTAL = $ 1783.65
Forestry students 8 week Practicum (May 10 – July 2)
Room & board /technology = $ 2193.65
Damage deposit (refundable) = $ 150.00 **
Equipment fees including tax: = $ 340.00 ****
TOTAL = $2653.65
**Damage Deposit – This is a refundable damage deposit that will be returned after the conclusion of Summer Practicum after damage assessments of facilities are complete.
****Equipment Fees – The final cost of Forestry Equipment fees has not yet been determined and the fee above is an approximation only. Final cost will be a function of the retail prices at time of purchase.
Required for Forestry students
Available for purchase at practicum:
Logger’s tape 100 ft. Cruiser’s vest.
- Sunnto Clinometer (percent and topographic)
Lab manual for FORY 3020 and FORY 3050
- U.S.G.S. Dixie Quadrangle & Symbol Sheet
Mesavage & Girard Volume Tables
Leitz Field Book
10 BAF prism
- The calculator and 4 required textbooks listed below should be purchased PRIOR to practicum and will not be available on-site
- Hand-held calculator that will perform trig and metric functions (for field work) can be purchased at most popular stores.
- The following 4 books, available from the AU Book Store, Anders Book Store or Amazon.com;
- Trees of Alabama, Lisa Samuelson. University Alabama Press. 2020. https://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780817359416?cm_sp=bdp-_-ISBN10-_-PLP
- Forest Measurements, 6th Burkhart, Avery and Bullock. https://www.amazon.com/Forest-Measurements-Sixth-Harold-urkhart/dp/1478636181/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545242589&sr=8-2&keywords=forest+measurements
- Writing Papers in the Biological Sciences, 6th edition https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Biological-Sciences-Victoria-McMillan/dp/1319047130/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545242860&sr=8-1&keywords=writing+papers+in+biological+sciences
- A Sand County Almanac. Leopold, Aldo. 1970. 1st Edition Ballantine. (ISBN 9780345345059)
Required for wildlife students (not available on-site):
Backpack, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle, pencils, multi-tool/pocket knife, binoculars, ID books (plants, birds, etc.), notebooks (’write in the rain’ notebooks are best), calculator, bath towel, laundry detergent, and checkbook. Clothing appropriate for field work (long sleeves, long pants).
Recommended for forestry AND wildlife students (not available on-site):
- A general collegiate-type dictionary and thesaurus
- Leather boots, 6 inch or higher (2 pairs are recommended)
Poncho or other rain gear
Insect repellent (several containers)
Snake leggings (optional)
A set of old clothes and a pair of old shoes for Forested Wetland Field Tour
Clipboard, Stick/Flash drive, Flashlight and batteries
Laptop computer; wireless service is available.
Other essential and more expensive equipment will be checked out to students. Students will be financially responsible for any lost or damaged equipment and property. Some equipment will be checked out to crews. In such cases, the crew as a whole shares responsibility for loss or damage.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Services at email@example.com.