The college has formed a team of leaders known as the Strategic and Tactical Advancement Resource, or STAR Team. Consisting of leaders from the forestry, wildlife and natural resources industries, the team serves as an advisory panel to the college.
Meeting twice yearly, the team leverages their knowledge and expertise to advance the college’s academic, research and extension platforms and helps to formulate and undertake strategic initiatives to elevate the visibility and impact of the college.
The STAR team will assist the college by creating stakeholder partnerships, acting as spokespersons at high-level discussions, engaging in executive- level networking opportunities and mobilizing resources to advance strategic initiatives.
The team recently met at the college on Aug. 3 to discuss topics such as addressing freshman enrollment challenges, advancing cross-laminated timber, promoting climate smart forestry, growing the Master of Forest Business and Investment degree program and expanding placement opportunities for Wildlife Enterprise Management majors.
The competition among forestry, wildlife and natural resources institutions in the U.S. Southeast is rising and causing the college to become more strategic and tactical in growing its size, excellence and influence.
“For the college to become the ‘go-to place’ in the U.S. Southeast, we need additional guidance and support,” said Janaki Alavalapati, dean of the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment.
“The STAR team has given us just that and helped us to realize our aspirations more quickly.”
The STAR team members include:
- Alex Hinson, President and CEO at Resource Management Service LLC, Birmingham, Alabama
- Brian Luoma, President and CEO, Westervelt, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Dan Moultrie, Founder of Moultrie Products, Birmingham, Alabama
- Paul Pinyan, Executive Director of the Alabama Farmers Federation and General Manager of Alabama Farm Bureau Services, Inc, Alabama
- Darryl Rosser, Executive Chair, Global Integrated Flooring Solutions, Birmingham, Alabama
- Marc Walley, President and CEO, Forest Investment Associates, Atlanta, Georgia (Team Leader)
- Ex-Officio: Chair/Ex-Chair Cannon Lawley and Alexander McCall of the CFWE Advisory Council and Dean of the CFWE
(Written by Jamie Anderson)